Hi, I finally had the discipline to get out of my paralyzing swamp to continue this game, thanks to Sean and Robotwist. Here is what I prepped, what I threw out, what happened, and some questions. I also have specific rules questions, and wondering thought about “how to deal with complex diagrams”, which could be rephrase into “are my diagrams too complex”?.
Interesting discussions could be brought about two-players RPG games, specifically with Sorcerer & Sword and why it presents itself to be particularly fit for this, and maybe how “real” relationship affects the game, and vice et versa. We are writing something to come about this.
The players: Me and Laura, we met last year, were roleplaying online together with a two player neonoir online rpg game, we played for two years before we met, then began a romantic and successful relationship. This actually happened last years, in the middle of the Sorcerer Marseille game (we didn’t plan anything when I invited Laura to play this game, but we met during the period we played it, so Sorcerer has this special thing to us). We are living together since September.
The paralyzing prep for this specific game: as I commented in this previous post, I’ve read Darkness Weaves, borrowed the relationship map from it, realized I was doing wrong, and was stuck 1 year thinking about this Kicker siren : I was trying to explain perfectly the kicker to myself.
The last discussion pushed me to unpause my sorcerer games. It’s been 1 year since our last game! I threw it all my plans. I realized my Demon design was weird and the diagrams too. So instead of trying to explain “what happened” and “what the player should discover”, I focused on “How do I bring all the elements from the center of the diagram in a scene”. I also stopped trying to do innovative and cool fantasy stuff, to embrace my own clichés, such as a classic demon dracolich, and allowing me to come with better stuff later.
Previous session and discussions : http://adeptplay.com/actual-play/sorcerer-archipel-session-1
We played 1h-1h30. Here’s what happened:
- Azur, Laura’s character and a pirate queen, take his demon ship to check what is going on with this island emerging from the water, just ahead of her own island. Some setting-building occurs: the island is a part of the old capital of Azur’s species empire (she is “inhuman”, a kind of blurry melnibonean empire for now).
- What’s emerging from the water is a 40 foot statue of the last emperor, which is the top of the highest building of the capital, still under the water right now.
- A fortress-ship appears from behind the next island, rushing to Azur’s City. These ships are from the community Azur has destroyed previously (defined in her Price).
- Azur’s rival Dragon attacks Azur’s ship and people. We defined during creation that the survivors of Azur’s immerged empire would be rare and kind of “highlander” competition of power, and that Andrinople, one of her rivals, would have a dragon. There is a tough battle (with bad rolls for Azur!), the Dragon wants meat, Azur exploit this by offering her enemies guts and retreat.
- Azur commands Gloir, her ship, to bring her next to the emerging statue. She jumps on it and climb it, arising with it,at the level of the next island’s cliffs, where Andrinople is performing a ritual.
- There she understands that Andrinople is summoning something. And this thing is answering: it’s the statue, with the tenebrous voice of the emperor.
Next game next week!
A few questions arouse from play :
1) Combat rules :
Multiple descriptors. A character may well have more than one of the following descriptions: Savage-raised, Martial training, Arcane regimen, as well as an appropriate Past, e.g. Bandit, Knight, Mercenary, etc. Such a character may often roll one of the scores first, to generate bonuses to modify the second, “real” roll against the opponent. The two rolls are considered a single action. (Sorcerer & Sword, p.70)
What is the opposing roll of this first roll? For instance, Azur has “Past: Pirate Queen of the Azur Sea”, and “Stamina: Trained soldier”. Is the first roll Past vs Stamina? Or Past vs the adversary’s opposing roll ? Are those adversary rolls rolled a second time for the second roll, or do we use the same?
2) Demon Power rules : what’s the limited distance the demon can give its power to its sorcerer? For instance, can Azur benefits from Gloir’s powers if she’s not on it ? Can she benefit from her other demon’s powers, Rowina, who is stuck on the island miles away?
3) Complex Diagram : I think I finally realized the role of the diagram. Not to provide the story, but provide elements that will be in a scene, the "story behind" their connexion coming from play, maybe, not from interpretation of the diagram during prep.
There's a lot of elements that went in the center of this diagram! I could bring everything. How do you deal with that? here's the diagram : https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrof0ay2ggrbopn/ARCHIPEL_E02_DIAGRAM.JPG?dl=1
But also, why is Sorcerer & Sword good for two player RPG game, as it is written in its text? What are your experience of games "not specificaly played for 2 players" (S/Lay W/me, etc.), ... but played with 2 players ?
It’s good to play!